Sunday, November 2, 2008

Floating through the day


On rainy days like today, I love to sit back and read a book if and only when the kids are asleep or taking their nap. And more often than not, everyday is a rush day and before I realised it, its dinner time.
Egg dishes are kind of a must in our household. I think everyone agrees that the simple omelette or scrambled egg is most forgiving and can adapt to any food like sandwiches or rice dishes. On lazy days, a simple dish of rice omelette and vegetable stir fry balances off the nutrition needed for the day nicely. My girl, N, came to me earlier today and asked for food cos she's "sooooo hungry and felt soooo weak". This 5yr old amazes me at times. She can eat 5 slices of bread every 10 minutes and have lunch and still be hungry for dinner. What's there to be amazed, you ask. Well its because once she's seated on the dinner table, she'd be the very one to pick on her food and will be the last to finish her meal upon much nagging from yours truly.

I was half expecting to see her disappointed face when I set the dinner on the table but she surprised me with a huge whoop and grin as she wolfed down this simple meal. After dinner she proclaimed her love for Asparagus and asked if I'd be cooking more tomorrow. Haha, I think, at times the most simplest of dishes are the most satisfying.

Asparagus Stir Fry
You need:
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic, chopped
1 red pepper, sliced thick
5 Fishballs, cut in wedges
A pack of Thai Asparagus, sliced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 dsp light soya sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil
2 tbsp water (to dilute dish as needed)

Preparation:
  • Heat the oil and fry the garlic, onion and red pepper till fragrant
  • Stir in the fishballs and cook for abit
  • Add asparagus and be sure not to overcook. Add the oyster sauce and soya sauce
  • Season the dish with salt and pepper to fit your preference. Serve with white rice and omelette. Enjoy.

No comments: